Monday, September 5, 2011

The Bowling Shirt, Vintage Style

I lied--it's not really a bowling shirt.  I ran out of fabric due to my own short-sightedness, then decided to go for a contrast yoke a la New Vintage Lady.  It looks awesome.


Blouse: short-sleeved casual button-up with convertible collar, six-button front, and contrast saddle yoke.



You guys have never seen me in jeans before, huh?  I lived in these when I worked the shipment shift at a retail clothing store, and after a couple months the knees blew out.  As with all my favorite items of clothing, they were Dear Partner's first.

But the shirt!  It's so comfortable, and looks just as good tucked in as it does with jeans.  I cannot explain the amazement I felt once the collar and back yoke were attached and it started looking like a real shirt.  I still don't understand how that vaguely rectangular flat piece of fabric became a collar.

Given the width of the of the back yoke, there's a little too much fullness gathered into the seam--an issue I think I resolved in the next version of this shirt. 


Yes!  There's another!  I'll get some pictures of it later this week.  I've got a long-sleeved version in the pipeline, too, just as soon as I figure out plackets.  Ugh, what a pain in the ass.


P.S. If you want to see what I'm inspired by these days, check out my Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/ihavemade/ .  And let me know if you need an invite--I'll be happy to oblige.  It's a magic place, isn't it?

1 comment:

  1. Purple gingham looks great on you. I agree about the back but more importantly it looks like you did a great job on the front & collar! I was so sure you'd make this sleeveless what with the weather and all. Definitely make more from a variety of fabrics :) a great everyday shirt!

    ReplyDelete