Monday, January 23, 2012

Secret Christmas Blouse

I'm just about finished with the back-button blouse I've been planning for months--it took me so long to get around to it, but the construction has been a two-afternoon affair, basically.  When you draft your own patterns, the hardest part is often getting started, since that's where the bulk of the mental work is: looking at vintage patterns for inspiration, picking which of my own patterns to adapt for this project (mostly this blouse pattern, since I wanted a fairly boxy silhouette that I could then tuck in at the waist), and then laying out all the pieces and tracing and measuring and tracing again and adjusting and measuring something different and double-checking seam allowances and etc. etc. etc.  By the time I finished drafting, I knew this blouse inside and out, and it came together in no time at all.  (It helps that wool jersey doesn't need seam finishes.)

I'll have finished pictures up soon, but for now, I wanted to explain why it's called the Secret Christmas blouse.  See, I needed to interface the button plackets, and I like to use leftover scraps from other projects to make sew-in interfacing for this sort of thing.  The first thing that came to hand was this bright red quilting cotton, which, next to the sort of army-green-ish wool jersey, looks like this:



Secret Christmas!

XOXO,
Jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment