The done thing seems to be to post five facts about oneself and then tag someone else, so here goes:
- One of my undergraduate degrees is in ancient languages. My Egyptian is still pretty good but my Sumerian and Akkadian are fading fast! If you ever watch The Mummy with me, be prepared for a lot of critical commentary about everything they got wrong (backwards hieroglyphs, improbable geography, at least one completely anachronistic codex, etc.)
- I love showtunes and often put on musicals or their soundtracks (Hair, Gypsy, Cabaret, Jesus Christ Superstar) while I sew. (I also sing--not always on key. I should probably apologize to my downstairs neighbors.)
- My favorite part of making biscuits and pie crusts is rubbing the butter and flour between my fingers to make a crumb. It's like mud pies, seriously, getting to dig your hands right into a bowl full of food. Just wash them first, obviously.
- Dear Partner and I live on the third floor of a Victorian house, in what was once servant's quarters. There are all these tiny hobbit doors that open onto cabinets, and a regular-person door next to the fridge that opens out onto air. I believe this is called "charm." Oh, and the bedroom has an elaborate Oriental rug painted onto the floor--very cool.
- I am taller than Marilyn Monroe, Katharine Hepburn, Greta Garbo, and Rita Hayworth.