Monday, July 18, 2011

In Which, Having Invented Sleeves, I Impersonate A Flamingo

Note to self: do not wear black in hundred-degree Kentucky weather.


(If you can't see the sweat beading up on my neck, it's not because it isn't there.)

Dress: A simple black chemise dress in cotton lawn with short sleeves, slightly gathered portrait neckline, and self-sash.




I didn't intend to make an off-the-shoulder dress, but I'm still getting the hang of designing necklines (damn them) and what will be will be.  I think it looks pretty good.


I know I found a link to the tutorial for this hairstyle on Casey Brown's blog, but now it seems to have gone into hiding.  It's just a twisty kind of circlet thing, gathering hair as you go like a French braid, and held with plain old bobby pins.


The self-sash is faced with an ivory cotton lawn of the same weight.  I'm really picky about fabrics--I don't like prints, won't touch anything synthetic (nylon slips if I can't get anything else), and get cranky about fraying--so I've been buying from Renaissance Fabrics a lot.  The deals are only okay once you throw in shipping, but I'm willing to pay a little extra to find period-accurate natural fibers in rich colors and not have to wade through polyester swirl prints.

Because I'm sure you've been waiting for it this whole post, my flamingo impression:


And this photo shoot marks the day I finally talked Dear Partner into visiting the world on the other side of the camera:


Just look at that dimple, huh?

4 comments:

  1. The dress and the hair looks lovely, Jessie. I keep being incredibly impressed with everything you make, I can barely use a sewing machine, and the most useful thing I've ever managed to knit was my nephew's baby blanket (it did turn out a bit lopsided, but no one seemed to mind) and a few scarves. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! Everything is wonderful and I always look forward to your next post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks so classic, i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It makes me feel like a movie star on a beach in 1962. :)

    ReplyDelete